Tuesday, July 28, 2026

My Review of The Punisher: One Last Kill (2026)

 


Written by Jon Bernthal And Reinaldo Marcus Green
Directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green 

Ma: "Loneliness... Right, Frank? It's like a hunger. A dreadful nasty, ever-present hunger you just can't shake."

I'd be putting this one off for a while. While I don't mind Jon Bernthal's version of Frank Castle/The Punisher, I can't say that I've been compelled by his solo adventures. I didn't even really bother with his Netflix show.

As a character, we know that Frank's got a shit tonne of trauma, following the death of his wife and children. There's more reminders of that here with Frank having flashbacks to his fily and visiting their graves. In fact, Frank seemed to be seeing a lot of people who aren't currently around.

Other characters that he was seeing that weren't there included Karen Page (Deborah Ann Woll) and Curtis Hoyle (Jason R. Moore). Those scenes were fine I guess as they served to highlight Frank's general isolation.

Of course Frank being the volatile one man killing machine that he's been in the MCU and Netflix universe so far, he's stacked up an enemies list. In particular of the crime family kind. This would be where Ma Gnucci (Judith Light) would factor into things.

Frank killed her family (they deserved it) but he didn't kill Ma Gnucci and she was determined to make him regret sparing her. The second half of this special had Frank literally fighting for his life. Of course, he won and got a costume upgrade. Just in time for his big screen appearance this week in Spider-Man: Brand New Day.

- The moment that thug killed the homeless man's dog, I wanted him to get a painful death. Frank delivered on that front.
- News casters Annika Pergament and David Collins had appearances in this one. Barracuda also appeared and played by Jamal Lloyd Johnson.
- Standout music: Hatebreed's I Will Be Heard and Danzig's Mother.
- Chronology: Present day New York. Seemed to in the same timeline as Daredevil: Born Again.

The Punisher: One Last Kill was an okay co-written effort by Jon Bernthal. It doesn't offer any new insight into this version of Frank Castle but it's diverting enough for under an hour. It needed more of Judith Light tbh. She was an excellent foil for our moody antihero.

Rating: 6 out of 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment