Written by Philippa Goslett And Zenzele Price
Directed by Nina Lopez-Corrado
Rhaenyra: "Do you think I'm worthy?"
Mysaria: "In this moment, my Queen Rhaenyra, I have never been more certain."
This was such an odd episode. If anything, despite Mysaria's insistence, it's really not looking good for Rhaenyra on the Iron Throne. I'll keep book talk out of it but yeah, Rhaenyra might need to watch her back because she's been making so many bad decisions since assuming the throne.
Not wanting to listen to her small folk voice their concerns and relegating that to Mysaria was such a dumb thing to do. I'm actually glad that Sylvi somewhat called Mysaria out on it as well. I'm also glad that Rhaenyra also called out Mysaria for stirring the pot between her and Daemon.
Saying that, Rhaenyra and Mysaria actually having sex with each other seems to have made a lot of people angry online. I sort of get it to be honest. A lot of people actually like Rhaenyra and Daemon as a couple and these last two seasons have not been great on that front for them. Rhaenyra even found out about Daemon covering for Rhaena and Sheepstealer and that was another source of conflict.
I really didn't like the scene of Sheepstealer being nearly mauled to death by Syrax, Seasmoke and Caraxes. It bothered me a lot more than it probably should've done. It also seemed incredibly short-sighted of Rhaenyra to want Sheepstealer killed when she needs all the dragons she can get. I felt really bad for poor Sheepstealer. They got nearly killed and abandoned by Rhaena.
However I think Rhaenyra's worst scenes were actually with Helaena this week. She was actually quite cruel to Helaena in the scene they shared together and I don't blame the latter at all. Rhaenyra's really doing a lot to instill a lot of doubt in her reign these last few episodes.
As for Team Green, they were mostly having a better time. Ormund had Corlys as a prisoner and was able to get Ulf on side. It really didn't take much for the latter to switch sides. Ormund really has emerged as a proper threat to Team Black this season.
Then there's Aegon II. He managed to get his groove back and realised that he wanted to be King after all. It also helped that Sunfyre managed to be alive and appeared at the right moment to back Aegon up. I still don't want Aegon as ruler but this was a good episode for him.
Last but not least, there's the Harrenhal stuff. By far, the worst element with more unnecessary incestrous undertones between Aemond and Alicent. The latter's attempts to also kill her own son was foiled by Alys. Never send Alicent to do anything. That woman's propensity to make things worse continues.
- Helaena dreamed of winter, of her children and chickens and taking control of Dreamfyre.
- Alas poor Service Adrian Redfort (Barry Sloane). We didn't get the chance to know the guy before Aemond decided to kill him.
- Baela seems to have gotten herself into a love triangle with Alyn and Addam. She was a lot kinder to Rhaena as well after the Sheepstealer debacle.
- Both Gwayne and Daeron were plotting against Ormund in this episode while being out of the loop on the latter's plans.
- I appreciated this episode having Daemon actually admit to failing Rhaena and having him try to amend that.
- Chronology: Not long from where the previous episode left off.
The Dragon In Winter isn't the strongest penultimate episode and there's certainly some strange choices being made with the source material. Rhaenyra's quickly losing allies and the Greens are definitely gaining the upper hand.
Rating: 7 out of 10

No comments:
Post a Comment