Wednesday, August 05, 2026

My Review of The Birdcage (1996)

 


Written by Elaine May
Directed by Mike Nichols

Armand: "Yes, I wear foundation. Yes, I live with a man. Yes, I'm a middle- aged fag. But I know who I am, Val. It took me twenty years to get here, and I'm not gonna let some idiot senator destroy that. Fuck the senator, I don't give a damn what he thinks."

This was another film that was on my mind recently. It's been years since I've watched this one and it's held up pretty well as two very different families were about to be paired together by their kids getting married.

There's drag club owner, Armand Goldman (Robin Williams). He's the owner of The Birdcage where his long time partner/lover, Albert (Nathan Lane) was the main attraction. Oh and they've got the rather lively Agador (Hank Azaria) living with them. It's a very modern relationship between the three.

Unfortunately, Armand's son, Val (Dan Futterman) got engaged to Barbara Keeley (Calista Flockhart). She's genuinely nice but her parents, which included Senator Kevin (Gene Hackman) and his wife, Louise (Dianne Wiest) lean a bit more conservative. Kevin's also on the verge of being outed for a scandal too.

Anyways, Val wanted to straighten up his father, keep Albert hidden, relegate Agador to the role of a servant and bring his mother, Katharine Archer (Christine Baranski) into the fold. All of this made me want to hate Val a lot and it was naturally a recipe for disaster.

The meeting of both families, which included Albert in drag went as badly as it could have gone and when Katharine was added in the mix, it did force Val to step up.for his family. The fun part was seeing Kevin having to embrace And and Albert's world when he needed an exit from the paparazzi.

There's a lot of time spent on both families that if the movie had a flaw, it would be Val and Barbara themselves. There's good chemistry between both of them but they do somewhat fade into the background at times with their chaotic families standing out a lot more by comparison.

- The film was based on Jean Poiret's La Cage aux Folles
- Robin Williams was originally cast as Albert but wanted to be Armand after Steve Martin dropped out for the latter part.
- Standout music: We Are Family, She Works Hard For The Money and I Could Have Danced All Night.
- Chronology: Set predominantly in South Beach, Miami.

The Birdcage (1996) for me continues to be a laugh riot. It's a genuinely entertaining mash up of two families, a young couple in love and some nice digs at the conservative agenda. Robin Williams, Nathan Lane, Hank Azaria and Gene Hackman are the highlights.

Rating: 8 out of 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment