Wednesday, August 26, 2026

My Review of Steel Magnolias (1989)

 


Written by Robert Harling
Directed by Herbert Ross

Truvy (to Shelby): "Oh sweetheart don't. Please don't cry or I will too. I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence."

This film has been on a list of movies that I've wanted to watch for a while and following the unfortunate passing of the iconic Dolly Parton, it was finally time to see it. 

Set in the South and focusing on a tight group of women, this was a beautiful look into motherhood, friendships, rivalries and a community at large. Specifically with six women, all of whom drive the story in a compelling.

A large focus would be on mental health worker, M'Lynn Eatenten (Sally Field) and her daughter, Shelby (Julia Roberts). Shelby's marrying a lawyer named Jackson Latcherie (Dylan McDermott). She's also a nurse, suffers from Type 1 diabetes and as a result, there's complications with her having children.

It's something that did create conflict between M'Lynn and Shelby, especially when the latter ended up having a boy named Jack. Sadly, Shelby ended up dying a year after giving birth and it's a genuinely gutting moment throughout the whole film.

Along with this brilliant mother and daughter duo, there's also bubbly hairdresser Truvy Jones (Dolly Parton) and her trainee, Annelle Dupey (Daryl Hannah). Both are somewhat religious characters without the overtime piety. Anelle ended being a bit more devout as the movie went along and she ended up pregnant and married to Sammy DeSoto (Kevin J. O'Connor).

One of my favourite parts of this movie however was the rivalry between former town first lady Clairee Belcher (Olympia Dukakis) and town grouch Louisa Boudreaux (Shirley MacLaine). Their scenes together are absolutely hysterical to watch. I loved the sheer bitchiness of their scenes together. Clairee's a bit of a terrible friend but her and Louisa are absolute to watch.

- I have to shout out Tom Skerritt as M'Lynn's husband, Drum. His rivalry with Louisa and goading her dog was also very funny.
- Robert Harling wrote this based on his own sister's complications with Type 1 diabetes.
- Standout music: Ry Cooder's I Got Mine.
- Chronology: 1980s, Chinquapin Parish in northwestern Louisiana.

Yes, I feel a little bad that I waited so long to watch Steel Magnolias (1989). This movie was a delight from start to finish. Powerhouse performances from everyone involved. It's funny, it's touching and sad in places. A genuine masterpiece.

Rating: 9 out of 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment