Monday, September 21, 2026

My Review of Lanterns: "Bad Optics"

 


Written by Justin-Britt Gibson And Damon Lindelof
Directed by Stephen Williams 

John (re Hal): "Of course you wrote your own fucking eulogy."

After five episodes that were mostly in 2016 Rushville, it's nice that we're in 2026 just so recent events can be referenced and the main issue from the first episode can be addressed.

Yes, I'm talking about the death of Hal Jordan. Even now, I'm still not convinced he's actually dead. Yes, we saw a body. Yes, we hard that minimalist funeral but something just seems off about the whole thing. 

I can see why Hal Jordan fans might not like a lot of what this episode did. The debacle with the Manhunters had him serve prison time and become a much hated figure publicly. Not that John's viewed in a much positive light either.

As the man who rejected the ring, he became an architect and ran a business with Marcus trying to install panic rooms. He also wanted an apology from Hal and was the last to see Hal before the latter was murdered. Did John kill Hal? Obviously not. 

John got some great scenes with both Kerry and an older Noah (Shea Prichard). John even got to meet both Guy Gardner (Nathan Fillion) and Carol Ferris (Amie MacKenzie). It's nice that the latter does exist in the DCU but it also looks like this version never became Star Sapphire, which is a bit disappointing.

As for Hal, we've got two episodes left to either solve his murder if he's actually dead or two episodes to explain why he faked his death. I'm still rooting for Hal to actually be alive and yes, I think it's likely that he broke Sinestro out of prison. 

- I had forgotten about Hal's pet plant, Earl until John had to feed it. Hal and Carol were estranged.
- Guy's ring is his own. He stole Hal's from Oa, even risking being sent to the Phantom Zone. He's also an athletic director (gym teacher) and set up his own beacon in Rushville.
- Maggie the waitress wanted reparations from John, Kerry and Billy separated, she got involved with Hal and Noah has political aspirations. John was also funding Aaron's album.
- Events from both The Suicide Squad (2021) and Superman (2025) were mentioned in this episode. Batman was also referenced.
- Standout music: Dan Auerbach's Heartbroken, In Disrepair.
- Chronology: 2026 Rushville for most of the episode.

Bad Optics was a scathing look into the man formerly known as Hal Jordan with John and Guy getting an interesting first meeting. I hope these next two episodes stick the landing regardless of whether Hal's alive or dead.

Rating: 8 out of 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment