Monday, October 05, 2026

My Review of Lanterns: "Dirt And Stars"

 


Written by Chris Mundy And Damon Lindelof And Tom King 
Directed by Alik Sakharov 

John: "In Brightest day. In Darkest night. I'll embrace my fear. I'll do what's right. I choose the ring. I choose this fight. In service to this lantern's light."

Well, this was a finale, now wasn't it? For those wanting the big CGI battle, this was not the episode for you. For those who wanted John Stewart in his suit, this was not the episode for you. For those who wanted definite answers behind Hal Jordan's death, this one's for you.

Now, whether you like the answer remains to be seen. I'm not sure I entirely do myself. Hal's definitely dead and his killer was Kerry Kane. That slightly disappointed me. Though she accidentally kill Hal upon panicking about Noah's identity being made public.

Yup, turned out that Noah's a Manhunter and he wanted to avenge Zoe's death. He actually healed Hal when the latter got burned in a house fire but Hal's snooping into Noah venturing into that desert planet certainly put Hal in the firing line. 

Noah did show some actual conflict here. He took the fall for Hal's death in order to protect Kerry but he needn't have bothered. John did nothing to actually bring Kerry to justice. She did feel bad for what she did and that was it to be honest. 

Anyways, the rest of the episode had Sinestro trying to turn John and Halogram against one another but he forged a Lantern for John to charge the ring. The actual goodbye between John and Hal was pretty effective though.

There was also a nice scenes between both John and Guy where the former made it clear to the latter he won't be answering to the Guardians. John also created his own oath, which did feel right thematically for him. 

- Considering the ratings for the show, expect a second season announcement pretty soon.
- John's family took in Earl the plant. It's the least they could do, considering their role in John and Hal's conflict.
- Noah admitted to wanting to continue playing football and starting a family.
- Quick reminder that we will see John Stewart in Man Of Tomorrow, which will be in theatres from July 9th 2027.
- Standout music: Michael Kiwanuka's Hero.
- Chronology: I'm assuming this will be the last we see of Rushville. Hopefully next season implements more of Oa.

Dirt And Stars opted for the low key and measured efforts for a finale. I'd say, I was satisfied enough with this one. Season 2 honestly can't come quick enough.

Rating: 8 out of 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment