Monday, August 10, 2026

My Review of My Adventures With Superman: "Vae Victis"

 


Written by Jake Wyatt
Directed by Grace Liu

Jonathan (to everyone): "Like I said. I am Superman."

On to the penultimate episode of the season, we've got two separate plots both fighting for the right amount of screen time. There's the one involving Superman and the one involving everyone else's.

Focusing on the latter one first, Jonathan spent a lot of this episode just getting it wrong. He's openly hostile and unhelpful when Lois tried to mobilise a plan and stop Amanda Waller from having total control of everything. 

I was hoping when a recovered Supergirl got him to come back that Jonathan might have learned to be a better team player. That went out the window when the Eradicator appeared and Jonathan overestimated his abilities. It did lead to a good cliff hanger though.

Then there's Clark and Bizarro. Brainiac had them both and there was something of a Krypton origin story thrown into the mix. Clark was put through a series of tests to prove his worth. This meant attacking the Coluans, which Clark didn't want to do.

It's a good plot that gave more history into Krypton while providing more context into Beainiac's descent into villainy. Saying that, we've got a finale to get to and we need Clark back as Superman pretty sharpish.

- There was nice scenes with Lois and Lara, who the former was able to bond with better than Jonathan.
- Kara and Jimmy had their own nice scenes in this one. 
- Amanda seemed to have a respect for Lois during their scenes and Jimmy even got through to Lex.
- Chronology: From where the last episode left off.

Vae Victis split it's time between two stories that were handled well enough. I do think that I preferred the Clark side of things in this one though.

Rating: 7 out of 10 

No comments: