Written by Ben Jacoby And Chase Palmer
Directed by James Ashcroft
Amanda: "If you're lonely, sad and blue. The Whisper Man will come for you."
My second new streaming movie release in less than a week to watch and it's another disappointment. I almost switched off halfway through but I persevered. Honestly I wouldn't recommend this one at all.
I do like a good detective thriller with a twist and this one on paper sounded good but the results were pure tedium. Adam Scott took centre stage as a grieving novelist Tom Kennedy with his young son, Jake (Acston Luca Porto) as they moved to the hometown of Tom's deceased wife.
They also moved into a rather creepy house where both Jake and Tom talked of imaginary friends. There was also a serial killer back in the 1990s called The Whisper Man, aka Frank Carter (Michael Keaton). Frank of course did get caught by Detective Peter Willis (Robert DeNiro).
Anyways, to get to the point of this episode - Jake went missing and it was revealed that both Peter and Tom were father and son and had an estranged relationship. Peter was working with fellow detective Amanda Beck (Michelle Monaghan) in order to find Jake.
There's some time spent on a serial killer fanatic named Norman Collins (Hamish Linklater). He's creepy enough but not the killer/kidnapper. Nope that's Francis Jr (Owen Carter) and he ended up having the worst kind of family reunion with his infamous father.
Speaking of fathers and sons, everything about Jake, Tom and Peter felt predictable throughout. Peter was absent father because he was a good detective and his only way to make things up for Tom involved getting Jake back. I guess it's up to Tom not to make the same mistakes his father did.
- It was based on Alex North's book of the same name. The Russo brothers are producers on this film.
- The Whisper Man had a creepy rhyme and left messages for his victims families.
- Standout music: R.E.M's Shiny Happy People.
- Chronology: 2026 in Garretton.
The Whisper Man made for a dull and lifeless crime thriller. Even Adam Scott and Robert DeNiro felt like they bored for the most part. I'd avoid this one to be honest.
Rating: 4 out of 10

No comments:
Post a Comment