Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Batwoman - Ruby Rose Cast In Title Role

I was hoping that SDCC was going to be the place to reveal this casting but when that didn't happen, my next hope was that we wouldn't have to wait long for the reveal and we didn't considering we now know who will be playing Kate Kane for the CW DC universe.


Ruby Rose, best known for her roles on Orange Is The New Black and recent films such as John Wick Chapter 2 and The Meg has bagged the role of lesbian superhero, Kate Kane/Batwoman and given that the CW themselves wanted a lesbian actress for the role, they kept to their word with the casting here. A synopsis for the upcoming series, scheduled to air in 2019 has also been released ....

Batwoman revolves around Kate Kane, who, armed with a passion for social justice and flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence. But don’t call her a hero yet — in a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.


My thoughts on this casting? I'm going to be honest. I like the character of Batwoman fine enough but not to the point where I had a fantasy casting list in my back pocket and to be fair, I just assumed the role would've gone to an actress who has previously worked on a CW show. I'm not the biggest fan of Ruby Rose and there are undoubtedly better actresses that the CW could've landed for the role but some of the online opposition for her casting has been a bit much. I'm gonna keep an open mind for now and wish her well in the role. As for the synopsis, it seems simple enough though I do hope the show doesn't go overboard with the preachiness as Supergirl has done at times.

Press Release: https://batman-news.com/2018/08/07/ruby-rose-is-batwoman-on-arrow-and-the-cw-series/

Batwoman will make her debut in the upcoming Arrow universe crossover event due to air in December on the CW before her own show debuts in 2019.

No comments: