Sunday, April 12, 2020

My Review of Harley Quinn's 2x02: "Riddle U"


Written by Sabreena Jalees
Directed by Colin Heck

Poison Ivy (re Barbara): "Hopefully she grows out of her awkward Batman obsession phase. I mean we all did."
Harley: "I don't know. I feel like we awakened something in her."

Ah, I was expecting a Batgirl origin story and this episode gave me that in a rather unusual but delightful way. In the past Barbara Gordon (Briana Cuoco) has been an enemy of Harley and Ivy but in recent times they have worked together and here they do that too in an unusual environment as the Riddler happens to be the target this week.

Taking all of the city's power for himself and only letting a selection few into his university, the episode had Harley, Ivy and Clayface as Steph going undercover to find out what he was plotting while Barbara was doing the same thing and trying to boost her depressed father's spirits to no success really.

With Clayface being in his element as Steph, it was Harley, Ivy and Barbara sort of working together when the Riddler was using college students as human batteries to power things along. Needless to say, Harley, Ivy and Clayface came afoul of Nygma but it was Barbara who inadvertently saved the day and became inspired to become Batgirl by the end of the episode.

It's a good origin story for Batgirl and I was actually relieved that instead of killing the Riddler, Harley and Ivy gave him a taste of his own medicine for a change. I'm not sure how long they'll keep him prisoner but it's better than bumping him off though.

Elsewhere Killer Shark and Dr Psycho got the B Plot, which mostly saw them taking out henchmen from both the Two Face and Bane corners of the city and not much else. I'd complain but I really liked their scenes together, so I didn't mind them having much less to do this week.

- Dr Psycho was making candles out of zoo animals as well as hats. Yeah, he's still evil, folks.
- There was a shameless 90s feel to this episode including Ivy being revealed as an Indigo Girls fan for good measure.
- Kite Man briefly popped up but Batman, Joker, Frank and Sy Borgman sat this one out.
- Chronology: A couple of months since the opening episode.

Riddle U worked better than the opening episode. I'm glad the show seems to be maybe avoiding having Harley kill off every one of her enemies and as I pointed out earlier, it also made for a good origin story for Batgirl. Next week, Catwoman.

Rating: 8 out of 10

No comments: