Monday, September 23, 2024

My Review of Creeping Death (2023)

 


Written And Directed by Matt Sampere

Nate: "Tim. Buddy, I hate to be the one to say it, but... someone's gotta die."

Last night, I went with a streaming exclusive horror. One that has a less than complimentary rating on IMDb but one that I surprisingly found to be decent enough. 

First of all, points will be given for the use of a Celtic legend in the Aos Si and the correct pronunciation of the word Samhain (other US productions, take note). Even I needed to do a little bit research with the Aos Si and thanks to this movie, I did afterwards.

Anyways you've got a decent enough male protagonist with good guy teenager Tim Garner (Matt Sampere). He's got a mother Linda (Monique Plant) dying of cancer and his father Fred (Scott Lea) has Tim cancelled his Halloween plans to look after his mother.

In some ways, Tim's father was doing him a favour. Given that many houses in the neighborhood had been abandoned and there was a mark left on the door of certain cursed residents, this was a Halloween night in which keeping a low profile was the order of the day.

Unfortunately Tim's friends, which comprised of Nate (Hunter Kohl), Isaac (K Cody Hunt), PJ (Elise St John) and Danielle (Delian Lincourt) brought the Aos Si to Tim by stealing off a grumpy old man with a dead dog and the rest of the movie became a race for survival. Only one of the teenagers made it past midnight while the rest of them all got slaughtered and in a variety of ways to boot.

- This came out nearly two weeks ago on streaming service ScreamBox, despite being a 2023 movie.
- They clearly intend a sequel to happen, given the set up of the last scene. 
- The closing credits with the use of pumpkins were a nice homage to a certain horror franchise.
- Chronology: Takes places during Halloween in Asheville, New York. At least one of the teenagers was dressed like Freddy Krueger.

This movie ain't no masterpiece and I'm not sure I'll ever watch it again but I kind of had a decent time with Creeping Death. I didn't feel like my time was being wasted too much and I didn't find it insulting my intelligence either. I thought it was decent.

Rating: 6 out of 10 

No comments: