Written by Vanessa Baden Kelly
Directed by James Hawes
John: "I'm sorry, gentlemen but you're about to torture a man who don't know shit."
Second episode in and we've got a winner here. For those who were right to be concerned that this show might be too grounded for its own good, this episode should give a lot of relief.
The Manhunters are the big threat to the season and they could literally be anyone. John got a hell of a history refresher on them when he ended up being taken by Antaan (Paul Ben-Victor). The latter didn't trust Hal but he didnt do a lot to win John's trust either.
Already I've seen online speculation that Antaan might be Atrocitus and right now, I'm definitely not ruling that possibility out. He very well could be. He definitely has a similar backstory to the infamous villain. I could see it being a mid season reveal if that's the case.
Keeping with John, this episode had Hal attempting to teach him how to fly. John created a cute little bird that lasted most of the episode, even when John didn't have the ring on him. John also had the chance to retrieve Hal's Lantern and suit and even feed Earl. I was rather surprised upon learning what Earl. Let's just say that Earl's the type of pet you'd expect Poison Ivy to have rather than Hal.
Then there's Hal himself. I am loving this version of the character. Kyle Chandler has done a great job in making Hal into a likable asshole. This episode he was stealing corpses, interrupting meetings, getting himself shot by William Macon's men and ending things by paying a certain character a visit.
The certain character being Sinestro (Ulrich Thomsen), currently imprisoned on Oa. The latter might have had one scene but he left a great impression. He did little to get under Hal's skin by alluding to John being a bigger threat to him than the Manhunters. I could really feel the history between the pair of them.
- Kerry likes to read and she's from Gotham. Is she related to Kate Kane, given they share a surname? Who is William's benefactor?
- MCU Disney+ shows could learn a lesson because we didn't have to wait for the finale to see Hal in his suit.
- Mogo was mentioned. He formed part of Hal's password. I'm also loving this odd rapport between Hal and Billy.
- Zoe was revealing a lot to John about her motives for being married to William. Will she turn out to be a Manhunter?
- Hal noticed the lack of patients when he was being discharged.
- Chronology: 2016 Rushville and Oa for the final scene between Hal and Sinestro.
Trust Fall really hit the ground running. We got a lot of lore in this one and the Hal/John dynamic continues to be a joy to watch. The Manhunters plot has me gripped.
Rating: 8 out of 10

No comments:
Post a Comment