Tuesday, October 06, 2020

DC - Upcoming Movie Dates Moved (& More Spin-Offs)

Yup, because 2020 and Coronavirus ain't done fucking with us, it seems that DC's upcoming movie slate has been dramatically changed yet again. 

Also as I write this blog, I'm psyching myself for even more changes because we really living in the worst of times all round, aren't we?

Anyways, let's get on with it, shall we?

The Batman, which had the absolutely glorious spot of October 1st 2021 has now been moved to March 4th 2022, due to Dune being pushed back a whole ten months. Given how perfect this movie was placed for a Halloween audience, this one stings the most. On the other hand, the movie has only resumed production (and will be filming exterior shots in Chicago this month), so I can see the extra time being a benefit to this one. Saying that, it's still the move that I'm most disappointed by, even though I know Matt Reeves and Robert Pattinson are truly going to give us something special with this take on the Dark Knight.

As for The Flash, it's now going from June 3rd 2022 to November 4th 2022 and this one I'm not mad about. First of all, it has yet to go in production, we're months away from filming actually taking place  and having a wider gap from Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness could benefit it a lot. If anything, this is probably a smart move on DC's part. Right now, in terms of casting all we know is that Ezra Miller, Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton are confirmed with Billy Crudup in talks to reprise his role as Henry Allen. Over the next few months, we will get more and more exciting casting, so this one I can wait longer for. Not that there's a choice in the matter.

Last but not least (for now) to be moved is Shazam!: Fury Of The Gods. Gone is the November 4th 2022 release date (The Flash called dibs on that) and we've got a June 2nd 2023 release date instead. I was wondering when we'd get a DC movie announced for 2023 and now I've got my answer. I've seen people wonder if the movie will recast the kids, but truthfully I think the movie should just age them up. Again we are a long way off from learning anything about this upcoming sequel, which is due to start filming next year.

Also in unsurprising news, Black Adam has lost it's December 22nd 2021 date (now given to The Matrix 4) and currently doesn't have a new date. If I were to make an educated guess, I think it'll end up as summer 2022 movie, but that's not a certainty right about now. Meanwhile we did finally get casting for Hawkman with Aldis Hodge landing the coveted role, which just leaves casting for characters such as Adrianna, Cyclone and Doctor Fate to be announced. I'm sure those roles will probably be filled out and announced before the year ends. 

As for everything else, movie wise, it seems for now (and I emphasize for now) that Wonder Woman 1984 will still hit cinemas on December 25th 2020 and The Suicide Squad on August 6th 2021. I expect the former to be pushed to early/mid 2021 while nothing has been said on the upcoming Aquaman sequel, which again for now will remain in the December 16th 2022 release but again, I can see that being pushed to 2023. 

On a final note, it seems that not only are HBO Max going in with the Snyder Cut of Justice League, giving Matt Reeves a Gotham Central spin-off for The Batman but John Cena's Peacemaker will also be getting a spin-off. James Gunn will be writing and directing most of the eight episode series but if you're expecting this series to confirm the character's fate in the upcoming The Suicide Squad, there are rumours this series will be a prequel, so perhaps not. I'm not gonna lie, Peacemaker isn't a character I feel really warrants a spin-off but I'm curious enough to give it a try though.

Link: https://deadline.com/2020/10/dune-drifting-away-from-december-to-october-2021-1234591593/

Thoughts on the ever changing release patterns? Will this finally be it or do you expect more movements to happen in the next few weeks/months?

No comments: