Wednesday, October 21, 2020

He Gives The Worst Pep Talks

It's been a while and with another lockdown due for Ireland, here's a rundown of some shows I've been watching over the last few weeks.

911: Lone Star: I'm at the halfway point of the first season of this spin-off series and it's going pretty well. Now I don't love the show quite as much as it's parent series but the characters are coming along nicely enough, the cases are fun enough to watch in parts (that bachelorette party) and the show continues to make some great strides in diversity as well as we saw some insight into Paul's dating life and of course with TK and Carlos's relationship. Owen and Michelle's plots are solid enough but I don't see Owen actually dying and we already know that Michelle isn't coming back next season.

Derry Girls: With the last two episodes of Series 2, I have officially caught up and I'm ready to see what the show will bring for it's third series when it comes back next year quite likely. I loved the homage to Carrie as well as the girls ditching school to meet Clinton and of course, James finally being accepted as a member of the gang. I'll even go as far as to say that I think the second series was even stronger than the first one and the bar had been set pretty high there.


I Hate Suzie: And it's over. I don't know if this show will get a second series (it definitely feels like it needs one tbh), but I did see a lot of what the finale did coming a mile off. Suzie's marriage collapsed, her career is in a strange place and her friendship with Naomi has also become strained. This was a great vehicle for Billie Piper's talents as co-creator and lead actor and it definitely feels like it deserves some award love at some point. US viewers will be able to see the series on HBO Max pretty soon.

Lovecraft Country: I mentioned in my previous review that this show could be so confusing to watch and the last three episodes definitely felt the most confusing. This show has definitely been an experience to watch and I quite liked Atticus and Letitia as protagonists but it might hep next season if the plotline was a little clearer to follow though.

Schitt's Creek: I know, I'm probably the last person to actually watch this show but E4 got the rights to it and are airing at least the first season in double bills. My first thoughts: I don't love it yet but I definitely like it and I can see why Moira Rose especially has made such an impression on people as the Rose family have lost their fortune and seem to be stuck in the worst town in the US with the worst televised Mayor seen in quite a while. It might take a few more episodes for me to really get into it though.

The Boys: I decided to wait until the first two season finished up to actually watch the first season and now, I've watched four episodes in the last week. This somewhat cynical take on the superhero genre definitely gets very meta and extremely violent in parts with Homelander proving to be far scarier than most comic book villain. Still though, I'm not sure that Billy Butcher is much better but fortunately there are sympathetic enough characters with Hughie, Starlight, Frenchie, Mother's Milk and Queen Maeve to balance things out a tiny bit and the superhero costumes do look pretty good. 


  • Raffi Barsoumian has been cast in the role of Bishop, a sadistic scientist for the sixth season of Legends Of Tomorrow.
  • The Flight Attendant will stream on HBO Max from November 26th.
  • Paddy Considine has been cast in a lead role for House Of The Dragon, the prequel spin-off for Game Of Thrones. The show will debut in 2022.
  • Dexter will return for a ten episode limited series on Showtime for Fall 2021.
  • Euphoria will return for two special episodes ahead of it's upcoming second season. The first one will air on December 6th.
  • Star Trek: Discovery has been renewed for a fourth season. Meanwhile UK viewers can currently watch the third season weekly on Netflix.
  • Kristen Bell will star in The Woman In The House, which has been ordered to series to Netflix.
  • Steven Krueger has joined the cast of Roswell: New Mexico for it's upcoming third season.
  • Disney+ have ordered a series of Willow with Warwick Davis set to reprise his role from the original movie.
  • Amazon will also be tackling a series based on I Know What You Did Last Summer.

No comments: