Friday, February 24, 2017

My Review of How To Get Away With Murder's 3x14: "He Made A Terrible Mistake"


Written by Joe Fazzio
Directed by Jet Wilkinson

Connor: "All your sons are dead. They're all dead and you can't use me to replace them."
Annalise: "Look me in the eye right here. You said you didn't hurt Wes, so I believe you but I need you to believe me too."

For the two part finale (and like with the first season one), I am watching and seperately reviewing the episodes. The review for the second one will be up tomorrow and after the ending for this one, perhaps the breather is a good thing. This was something else altogether.

I had no doubts whatsoever that Connor would be innocent. I mean, he's not always the most likeable of people but he's not a killer and the flashbacks showed that he tried and failed to save Wes before fleeing the house and even had contemplated suicide afterwards.

The gang's reactions to learning that Connor was there were predictable but not in a bad way. I don't blame Laurel and Asher for losing it with Connor in the same way I don't blame Oliver and Michaela for siding with him as well. I also adored the scene between Connor and Annalise where both of them gave the other some stunning home truths. An absolutely incredible scene between Jack Falahee and Viola Davis.

Of course while Connor's innocence was proved in the episode, Denvers guilt also came around the same time Connor tried to bag an immunity deal. I suppose it makes sense to have Denvers play a larger role in the attempt of taking Annalise down. It was also interesting that Connor became privy to this at the most crucial moment for him while Annalise and Bonnie also pieced things together when Nate wasn't filling in more blanks.

Speaking of Annalise, this week we had Laurel testifying for her, only for Denvers to use her past kidnapping against her. Because I'm already privy for what's going to happen in the second part of this episode, I know that there's more of Laurel's shaky family backstory to come and I'm definitely intrigued by that mysterious stranger who watched Connor leave the house before it blew up the night before.

Not to mention that this part also laid it on fairly thick with the Mahoneys. Charles got released from prison and Sylvia seemed determined to find out who murdered her husband as well from last season. Basically that's another problem along with clearing Annalise's name for the gang to fix as we head into the finale for real.

- The Connor flashbacks were always going to up my enjoyment for this episode, including a more graphic scene with him and Thomas as well.
- The therapy scene with Annalise cutting from Connor's near suicide attempt worked brilliantly. I also liked Frank in the courtroom scenes.
- Annalise got a new look for this episode as well.
- Chronology: Not long from where It's War left off.

A strong start to the finale. He Made A Terrible Mistake really could've been about Wes but it was also about Connor and having him come forward and try to amend for some of his behaviour this season as well. I definitely can't wait to see how this all ends now.

Rating: 9 out of 10

No comments: