Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Doctor Who - Series 7 News In Tweets

Okay, how to break the news about Doctor Who's fate in relation to Series 7 and the next two years. I know, I'll let the tweets do the talking.

Now, this was stupid considering that last week, Moffat and company announced fourteen new episodes. I know they didn't say those episodes would air in 2012 but that doesn't lessen the blow either.

I'd rather a full series than another series of specials but here's hoping they're worth it though. Damn you, BBC.

And more of an official statement here ...

BBC1 Controller Danny Cohen today revealed that, after much speculation generated since the Private Eye article and subsequent BBC announcements last week, Doctor Who will indeed be returning in a curtailed form during 2012.

Speaking at the Church and Media Conference this afternoon, Cohen's comments were relayed via Twitter, with BBC Merseyside's Religious Editor Wayne Clarke reporting: "Danny Cohen says there won't be a full series of Doctor Who in 2012, but a special run for the anniversary in 2013". The BBC's Entertainment Correspondent Liza Mzimba confirmed the comments this evening, adding that other reported comments by Cohen on the decision being made to enable head writer Steven Moffat more time to write his other hit series Sherlock were light-hearted and not meant to be taken seriously.

No other details on how many episodes will comprise the 2012 run at present, though the BBC confirmed last week that fourteen episodes had been commissioned, including this year's Christmas Special, with Matt Smith at the helm in the role as The Doctor.

Update: commenting on the various media stories circulating over Cohen's announcement, Steven Moffat said: "Dr Who: misquotes and misunderstandings. But I'm not being bounced into announcing the cool stuff before we're ready. Hush, and patience."

No comments: