Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Review of Ringer's 1x13: "It's Easy To Cry When This Much Cash Is Involved"

Written by Shintaro Shimosawa And Eric Charmelo And Nicole Snyder
Directed by Guy Bee

Tessa: “I can’t do this.”
Juliet: “Sure you can. You showed up wearing a pants suit and everything.”

And the resolution to the Juliet/Carpenter/Tessa storyline came to a rather disappointing resolution – they were all in it together in a bid to get Juliet out of public school, give her back her inheritance and line their own pockets. Wow, Juliet that was the type of colossal bitch move that the real Siobhan would be impressed with.

This episode also killed whatever respect I had grown to have for Juliet for the last couple of weeks. Did Andrew really deserve to have that happen to him at all? Couldn’t he at least have one woman in his life that isn’t lying to him or trying to fleece/ruin him? It makes me wonder who this guy must have hacked off in a previous life to end up surrounded by untrustworthy people at every turn.

I mean, even Bridget’s lying to him and it’s going to hurt him when the truth comes out but at least she genuinely cares for Andrew. I hoped in spite of her bratty behaviour that Juliet did as well but clearly not enough if she’s willing to fake being raped in order to get back her trust fund.

On the other hand, brilliant actress Juliet. I mean her scenes with Bridget this week when she was talking about wanting a normal mother and even when she was in the bathroom with Tessa were all convincing stuff but it just feels like they’ve made into the same terrible mode that both Siobhan, Catherine and Olivia have all fallen into.

Speaking of Catherine – anyone else wondering if she is in on it as well? I mean, I sort of wouldn’t put it past but not only I am disappointed with Juliet but I’m also disappointed with Carpenter but this storyline was never going to end with him a positive light.

However, the little dynamic Juliet seems to have with both Tessa and Carpenter, I can already see the cracks there and that has a lot of potential in the next few episodes. Their greed is going to make them turn on each other and that should be fun to watch.

Keeping with a sense of fun in this episode, I found myself loving Bridget and Solomon working together and the nice little lie Bridget used to excuse her odd behaviour with him. While I’m sure these scenes would’ve had more sparkle with Malcolm, Solomon is an okay enough character and he served a decent enough purpose here.

Bridget really does know beyond any doubt that Siobhan is actually alive and was working with Charlie and also seems to know that she’s being watched as well. It’s always nice to see Bridget a little ahead of the game. I also liked that Bridget realised that Siobhan obviously still obviously a grudge over Sean as well and the trailer for next week’s episode looks like we’re finally going to see what really happened there.

Of course, now that Bridget is actually getting closer and closer, the question is how much longer do we have to wait before she actually crosses paths with Siobhan? With the way, Siobhan just about manages to keep Bridget off her back, I can only image that their reunion will surface way before the finale at this rate.

Speaking of Siobhan – how much more does she actually need from Tyler at this point? She seems to have the means necessary to take down Martin/Charles and she didn’t waste much time in enlightening on her little scheme as well. I feel bad for Tyler but I’m not sure there’s much else they can do with him, character wise.

Last but not least – Henry getting blackmailed by Olivia wasn’t that surprising. Considering Olivia’s desperation for Gemma’s father to become a client of Martin/Charles, I wasn’t fazed that she resorted to blackmail to get Henry to coerce his father in law and Henry better hope she wasn’t lying about not having multiple copies of that photo. Oh, come on, she probably has tonnes of them.

Also in “It’s Easy To Cry When This Much Cash Is Involved”

This week it was Tessa who spouted out the episode title for us. At least it wasn’t Juliet for once.

Solomon: “Why are you asking me about what you did?”
Bridget: “I’m newly sober. I have whole chunks of time I can’t remember. Now that I’m clean, I’m trying to figure out who I was because it’s kind of affecting who I am now. Does that make sense?”

The funny thing is that because of the fact that Bridget is a recovering alcoholic, she’s not exactly lying to Solomon with that statement, apart from pretending to be Siobhan though.

Henry: “I can’t believe you let Bridget be you.”
Siobhan: “Her life was in danger. She came to me, I couldn’t turn away my sister.”

Olivia: “Are you going to invite me in?”
Henry: “Do I need to? Are you a vampire?”

Siobhan told Henry that Bridget and Charlie were working together to kidnap and extort money from Gemma. Now that was cold, Siobhan.

Solomon: “Are you okay?”
Bridget: “No, my sister lied to me. I wonder what else she lied to me about.”

Juliet: “For once, it would be nice to have a normal mom. Someone who doesn’t make me feel I’m making a mistake by doing this.”
Bridget: “You’re not. It takes a lot of courage to stand up to someone and not run away.”

As well as no appearances from Malcolm and Victor, there was also no continuation from the Jimmy and Bodaway plot of last week. I also loved the brief moment in this episode where Andrew and Siobhan actually interacted, especially for the latter’s reaction.

Andrew: “Is everything okay? You don’t look too good.”
Siobhan: “Excuse me?”

Standout music: Lana Del Ray’s “Blue Jeans” used at the end of the episode.

Tessa: “I still can’t believe we pulled this off?”
Carpenter: “So who wants to toast to being millionaires?”

Chronology: From where “What Are You Doing Here, Hoe-Bag?” left off.

The episode titles remains a bit too gimmicky for my tastes but there’s an improvement with the series. “It’s Easy To Cry When This Much Cash Is Involved” continues that trend of improvement but with the less than desirable ratings for the CW, I just don’t know if the show can go beyond whatever the remaining nine episodes can offer and that’s a shame.

Rating: 8 out of 10

No comments: