Saturday, May 16, 2015
Sherlock - Christmas Special/Series 4 News
I've been a bit lax when it comes to the Sherlock news of late, so here's a round up on news for both the Christmas and Series 4.
- The special is set in 1895 with Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Amanda Abbington and everyone else playing period versions of their characters.
- Steven Moffat wanted to do at one episode with Holmes and Watson in period gear.
- The special itself is written by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss and will be directed by Douglas Mackinnon, who has directed several episodes of Doctor Who.
- Filming for Series 4 will begin during Spring 2016, so it's more than likely the episodes for that won't air until January 2017.
- It will be darker than the previous series with a lot of emotional upheaval as well.
- There may be also a time jump, not to mention the fact that we also have to have Mary giving birth and whether or not Moriarty is alive.
I have to admit to not really being that shocked that we might have to wait a bit longer for the fourth series, which is probably why this year's Christmas special will be something of a way to bridge the gap. I also get the impression (and considering that both Cumerbatch and Freeman are getting harder to pin down) that Series 4 might actually be the last proper series and that specials (like the upcoming Christmas one) every few years is the way the BBC are going to go with this show. That might not be a bad thing to be honest.
Series 4 Spoilers: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/feature/a647397/sherlock-series-4-everything-we-know-about-so-far-including-filming-schedule-air-dates-and-plots.html?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=dsuk&utm_campaign=twdsuk#~pcR7l3XnQYjZou
The Christmas special of Sherlock will air in December while Series 4 starts filming in Spring 2016.