Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Tear, Sarah Jane?


I don't usually do blogs about deaths but like many Doctor Who/The Sarah Jane Adventures fans, I was saddened and shocked to hear that actress Elisabeth Sladen has passed away. The actress, 63 died of cancer yesterday morning and had been ill for months. She is the second companion actor to have passed away this year, following the death of Nicholas Courtney (The Brigadier) in February.

I didn't grow up with the Classic Series but once I had seen Sarah Jane Smith in School Reunion and watched her subsequent stories with the Third and Fourth Doctors, I knew there was something about the character and actress that struck a chord and her own foray into a spin-off series gave the character a much needed new audience and to paraphrase the lovely Miss Smith, no one is ever going to forget you.

A true legend sadly no longer with us. I don't know whether the filmed segments of Series 5 of The Sarah Jane Adventures will air either but DWM will be dedicating an issue to the actress later in the year while Doctor Who will also be doing a tribute as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://noybusiness.livejournal.com/40214.html

I can hardly believe it. I don't think I've ever been affected like this by the death of someone who isn't a relative. It's so... hard to believe. "...", I've been thinking. I hadn't the foggiest clue she was battling cancer.

shawnlunn2002 said...

Me too. It came as such a shock as well. There's a tribute on CBBC on Saturday after Doctor Who for Elisabeth Sladen.