Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Review of Doctor Who's: "Good Night"

Written by Steven Moffat
Directed by Richard Senior

Amy (to the Doctor): "My life doesn't make any sense."

And there are the words that Amy finally managed to get off her chest. I was wondering why the Doctor was so resistant in letting Amy tell him her secret - maybe he feared she had romantic feelings for him or maybe he just didn't want to confront the issue of Amy's life not making sense. I'm thinking the latter on this one.

At least this story finally got the idea out of the way and Amy's knack for remembering her life, before and after the Doctor rebooted the universe certainly gives her an interesting turmoil here, that's not dissimilar to Rory's memories of being a Roman/Auton either.

The only thing is - Amy's saddest thing at the time is an ice cream she lost at five years old? Bit silly, even with the timey twist of her current self giving her past self another ice cream. Then again, I did like the ending of the Doctor telling her to get him an ice cream too, so maybe it is a perfect ending to this one.

- River was mentioned again but not actually seen. Then again, so was Marilyn Monroe and biplane lessons too.
- I think this episode really could've used Rory in it. I'm disappointed he only got to appear in one of these Night And The Doctor scenes.
- Amy's knack for remembering the same event but different versions of it will crop up again during The Wedding Of River Song.
- Chronology wise, I guess early in Series 6 but again, I'm not sure when.

Definitely the stronger one from the first two scenes, I did like this little character moment from the Doctor and Amy but I can't help wondering if this is something we should've actually seen in an episode though.

Rating: 9 out of 10

No comments: